Pages

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Do It Yourself Project or How to Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Dining Room-Before

March brings thoughts of Spring and cleaning.  This year I took Spring cleaning to the extreme.  After living in my home for five years and  recently refinancing, it was time for a face lift.  My house was move-in condition when I bought it. Not my color choices, but not bad enough to change back then.

One Sunday morning while eating breakfast I decided the wallpaper had to go.  It was shades of green, beige, burgundy and just plain ugly.  I began the process by tearing a piece in a spot that would not be missed by anyone walking through my front door.  No turning back now!  Each night I would come home from work and tear more paper.  It was a solitary project. Just me. Read--no help. What was I thinking?!  I have nine foot ceilings, 36" cupboards and I'm not much over five feet tall!  Neighbors to the rescue with a taller ladder.  

It is now nearly mid-May and I'm working hard to complete my painting mission.  The kitchen and dining room are finished and the result is a wonderful transformation.  So much so, I started on the living room. Read-not in the original plan, there are vaulted ceilings, but I can't stop in the middle of the room! My deadline for completion is fast approaching. Memorial Day is looming and I have vowed to have the painting finished. 

The first weekend in June will bring friends from Ohio, Virginia and maybe Florida for a girls get-together.  My friend Sherry says they are coming to see me, not my house.  At least it will look fresh and clean.  Nothing like having company to get everything spruced up.  I just bit off more than I can chew. Speaking of chewing--that reminds me, I have a menu to plan for an entire weekend. Now that is a project I will enjoy.
Dining Room - After

No comments:

Post a Comment