Pages

Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 23, 2012

Almond Chicken Casserole

Think about your favorite foods.  I would be willing to bet those foods trigger fond memories.  This particular recipe takes me back nearly 10 years to Toledo, Ohio.  It was prepared by my friend Melissa for our book club known as "Guacamole Joe's."  I don't exactly remember who was responsible for the name, but I do know how much fun we had at book club.  As with most, we diligently read and discussed our books in the beginning.  And we always had good food and wine. This recipe triggers memories of wonderful friends and an evening of laughter shared around the table.  I've made Almond Chicken countless times since then, but the original memory of friends I haven't seen in years is still my favorite.

Almond Chicken

5 cups diced, cooked chicken breast
2 cups diced celery
3 cups cooked rice
1 can (8 ounce) diced water chestnuts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sour cream

Preparation:  Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and transfer to a 9" x 13" glass dish misted with a non-stick cooking spray.  Prepare topping (below).  Sprinkle topping over casserole and bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes.
Almond Topping

1/2 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup butter (melted)
3 cups crushed corn flakes



No comments:

Post a Comment