Pages

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Marinated Six Bean Salad

Saturday is my favorite day of the week.  I normally sleep in and have a big breakfast because there is plenty of time to relax and cook.  Healthy eating is not on my Saturday menu most of the time because I love having a day to "cheat and eat."  Instead of a big breakfast today, I had a banana split with Reese's Peanut Butter ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream, toasted walnuts and topped it with a maraschino cherry. For lunch I had popcorn. Of course, by now I'm feeling guilty, so I redeemed myself and made a six bean salad for dinner.  Low calorie, full of protein and fiber and oh so yummy.  

Six Bean Salad

Marinade:
1 cup olive or canola oil
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar or sugar substitute
2 teaspoons celery seed

Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved.  

Drain and rinse the following:

1 can green beans (1 gram fiber)
1 can wax beans (1 gram fiber)
1 can Cannellini beans (6 grams fiber)
1 can light or dark kidney beans (6 grams fiber)
1 can Garbanzo beans (5 grams fiber)
1 can black beans (7 grams fiber)

Add to marinade. Stir to combine. Cover and allow one hour for flavors to meld.  Yield 18 servings

Feel free to use any combination of beans.  These just happened to be the six types of beans in my pantry today.  Of course the recipe calls for onions, but my absolute loathing of onions means they are optional.  And I opt out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment